A spill is any unintended release of material that increases risk to human health, the environment, or property. Personnel may only clean up spill if authorized via work planning and control to handle spilled material and wearing appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE)
Emergency spills. If you believe a spill may cause a health-threatening situation such as fire, explosion, or toxic gas release:
- From a land line, call 9-911 for emergency assistance.
- Call SLAC security (ext 555) or 650-926-5555 from a cell phone to report the spill.
- Alert people in the vicinity.
- Evacuate the area.
- Notify your supervisor.
- Stay nearby to provide information to emergency personnel.
Non-emergency spills. Contact SLAC security at ext 5555 or (650) 926-5555, and your supervisor, if the spill:
- Is not contained in a hood or on a lab bench.
- May impact the environment (by entering a sink or floor drain, contaminating soil/water, or creating an inhalation hazard).
- Cleanup cannot be completed within 15 minutes.